Most motorists are aware that pulling over on the hard shoulder of a motorway is in fact an offence, unless there is an emergency. However, this does not seem to prevent many drivers from using the hard shoulder as anything from a place to pull over to make a phone call, to a convenient place for a snooze after a long motorway drive.
Here are some of the best (or worst) excuses for pulling over on the hard shoulder:
– One driver seeing the word “Fire” showing on his dashboard display panicked and pulled into the hard shoulder, expecting his car to be ablaze within minutes. It turned out that was the title of the Adele track he was listening to on his CD player.
– Disoriented drivers checking maps or re-setting their sat-navs.
– One driver pulled up after realising his insurance policy had expired – so that he could call around for the best quote to renew.
– Photographing their children in the car on a sunny day.
– Falling asleep after feeling sleepy when behind the wheel.
– Picking flowers for a loved one.
– Having a drink and chatting to fellow passengers.
– Trying to find the best location for mobile phone signal along the motorway (this one raises so many questions…)
These are just some of the strangest excuses we have heard for drivers illegitimately using the hard-shoulder. What bizarre excuses have you heard for appalling driver behaviour?
Let us know in the comments section below!
Safe driving from Britannia!