July 16, 2015

Nightmare British Drivers

A recent survey has revealed that two thirds of us want European road signs in English. It revealed that 26% of British drivers struggle with driving on the right hand side and 36% say that navigating and understanding road signs is a challenge. Sadly, only 11% said they positively enjoyed the experience of driving when abroad.

Further, 60% said they didn’t feel knowledgeable enough to drive confidently and safely when abroad. A fifth of drivers said they were unlikely to pass a foreign driving test and 15% admitted to being amazed that there aren’t more rules for foreign drivers.

If you’re taking your UK-registered vehicle out of the country for 12 months or more (known as permanent export) you’ll need to tell the DVLA by filling in the V5C/4 section of your V5C and send it to the DVLA office. Keep the rest of your VC5 registration as you might need this to register your vehicle abroad. Since your licence was issued by an EU country, it’ll be recognised throughout the EU. Driving is permitted on a valid EU licence but you may be required to exchange it for an EEA national licence once you’ve gained resident status.

What are your thoughts on this article? Send your views to Britannia Driving School by using the comments link below: