June 8, 2015

Changes Come Into Force Today

Today, the paper counterpart to the photocard driving licence will no longer be valid or issued by the DVLA.

Here are the ways the changes could affect you:

If you already hold a paper counterpart, it no longer has any legal status. You should destroy your paper counterpart, but you still need to keep your current photocard licence.

If you hold a paper licence which was issued before the photocard was introduced in 1998, this will remain valid and should not be destroyed. If you need to update your name, address or renew your licence, you will be issued with a photocard only.

If you drive for a living and are asked to provide evidence of your driving record, you can do this online for free by accessing the Share Driving Licence service. The service should be used by both paper and photocard licence holders. You can generate a “check code” to pass to the person that needs to view your licence details.

If you will be hiring a car and are asked for evidence of what vehicles you can drive or confirmation of any penalty points, you can request a unique code from www.gov.uk which allows you to share your licence details or download a summary of your record.

What are your thoughts on this article? Send your views to Britannia Driving School by using the comments link below: