Choose an appropriate place to manoeuvre. If you need to turn your vehicle around, wait until you find a safe place. Try not to reverse or turn round in a busy road; find a quiet side road or drive round a block of side streets.
Do not reverse from a side road into a main road. When using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can.
Look carefully before you start reversing. You should
- use all your mirrors
- check the ‘blind spot’ behind you (the part of the road you cannot see easily in the mirrors)
- check there are no pedestrians (particularly children), cyclists, other road users or obstructions in the road behind you
- Reverse slowly while
- checking all around
- looking mainly through the rear window
- being aware that the front of your vehicle will swing out as you turn
- Get someone to guide you if you cannot see clearly.
You MUST NOT reverse your vehicle further than necessary.
[Law CUR reg 106]
Previous page / next page