Think! is launching a new campaign to warn drivers of the dangers of country roads. The following statistics have been released: 60% of people killed on Britain’s roads die on rural roads, 25% of drivers report having had a near miss on a country road and 40% have been surprised by an unexpected hazard, such as an animal. A third also confess to taking a bend too fast.
The statistics evidently show that many drivers are failing to anticipate dangers on the road ahead when driving on country roads.
– The new THINK! campaign urges drivers using country roads to:
– Read the road ahead and anticipate potential hazards
– Drive at a speed that allows you to stop in the distance you can see to be clear
– Stay in control and give yourself time to react by braking before a bend, not on it
– Give cyclists and horse riders plenty of space when overtaking